[Gluster-devel] Glusterd: A New Hope

Anand Avati anand.avati at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 18:20:25 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Anand Avati <anand.avati at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 7:09 AM, Jeff Darcy <jdarcy at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> The need for some change here is keenly felt
>> right now as we struggle to fix all of the race conditions that have
>> resulted from the hasty addition of synctasks to make up for poor
>> performance elsewhere in that 44K lines of C.
>

> synctasks were not added for performance at all. glusterd being single
> threaded was incapable of serving volfile in GETSPEC command or assign a
> port in PORTMAP query when the very process it spawned
> (glusterfs/glusterfs) would ask glusterd, and wait for the result from
> glusterd before "finishing daemonizing" (so that a proper exit status be
> returned), and glusterd would wait for glusterfsd to return before it got
> back to epoll() and pick the portmap/getspec request -- resulting in a
> deadlock.

As I recall more, it was also limiting what a "hook script" could do. A
hook couldn't use pretty much any of the gluster cli commands itself (to
check peer status, or volume info etc - which would be pretty basic
requirements) -- only because glusterd main thread was busy executing the
hook script itself and couldn't fullfil new requests arriving on the socket
from the script.

The point is that it was never a question of performance - it was to just
get basic functionality "working".

Avati