[Gluster-devel] posix-locks and afr

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Sat May 10 16:34:08 UTC 2008

Jeroen Koekkoek wrote:

> I configured glusterfs to do afr on the server side e.g. the client only
> connects to the localhost and the glusterfs daemon listening on the
> localhost replicates the files over the network. Since I need file locking,
> I used posix-lock/translator volumes and let the afr volume use the
> posix-lock volumes on both hosts as subvolumes. That however doesn't work. I
> can still lock the same file on both hosts at the same time.

I never got this far - glusterfsd core dumps on me when I wrap the base
volume with the posix-lock translator. :-(

> After doing some testing I found out that if I configure the client to do
> afr and use the posix-lock volumes as subvolumes in the client, fcntl
> locking does work.

So you export the raw storage/posix volume from the server as tcp/server
and wrap it in posix-locks on the client after importing it via the
tcp/client? Interesting, I was told to apply the wrapping directly
around the storage/posix brick.

> I'd like to know if more people ran into the same problem and if anybody has
> a solution. I'd also like to know if there are downsides to my current
> configuration.

I'm still waiting for Avati to have a look at the dumped core on one of
my servers.

Gordan