[Gluster-devel] afr logic

Kevan Benson kbenson at a-1networks.com
Tue Oct 16 19:59:41 UTC 2007

When an afr encounters a file that exists on multiple shares that
doesn't have the trusted.afr.version set, it sets that attribute for sll
the files and assumes they contain the same data.

I.e. if you manually create the files on the servers directly and with
different content, appending to the file through the client will set the
trusted.afr.version for both files, and append to both files, but the
files still contain different content (the content from before the append).

Now, this would be really hard to replicate without this arbitrary
example, it would probably require a write fail to all afr subvolumes,
possibly at different times of the write operation, in which case the
file content can't be trusted anyways, so it's really not a big deal.  I
only mention it in case it might not be the desired behavior, and
because it might be useful to have the first specified afr subvolume
supply the file to the others in the case that none has the
trusted.afr.version attribute set in cases of pre-populating the share
(such as rsyncs from a dynamic source).  The problem is easily mitigated
(rsync to a single share and trigger a self-heal or rsync to the client
mount point), I just figured I'd mention it, and that's only required if
you really NEED pre-population of data.

--

-Kevan Benson
-A-1 Networks